Sunday, March 13, 2011

February 28, 2011 (This is re-post from a Facebook Note.)

Holy Schamoley was today a tough day at Bulldog. Not that I was expecting to have an easy day, really. From the time I woke up I felt sort of weak and shaky. In retrospect, I think I didn't eat enough yesterday. The warm-up started with 300 rope jumps. Oof. Then some work with the pvc pipe and my personal battle with trying to do an assisted pull-up with elastic bands. I was super tired out by then. Just in time for the lifting part.

I did 5, 3, 1 reps with 35lbs: deadlift, clean pull, close-grip snatch, back squat, good morning, and row.

Then the workout! 5 rounds of 15 sit-ups, 20 overhead squats, 15 burpees. I did not make it through all 5 rounds, but in fact, only 2 rounds and it took me a long time. I forgot my time -- a little over 19 minutes maybe? But the important thing was: I am getting a better feel for proper squat position. Gio (coach) was pretty tough with forcing me to squat back and down so my butt touched a medicine ball on the floor. I appreciate his bulldoggedness despite my cries for mercy, and apparently, according to him, a lot of eye-rolling and evil looks. I really just wanted to get my reps in, but I understand that I have to get this. I was pretty dead after just 2 reps.

Thought I was done? I did. But no. 10 false-grip ring rows. It's sort of like pulling yourself up using the side of your wrist wedged in a ring (both hands/wrists are in rings). My lame bird wrists are still thanking me. I didn't do 10, but I did hold one for what seemed like a year.

This post sounds a little on the whiney side. I felt a little whiney, honestly. But I do know that these are important skills to gain. And on a very basic level, it is good to feel how much weight I am actually carrying. Sometimes I forget that I am overweight. But how does it feel to haul this weight into just one burpee? How about lifting that weight with my wrists and forearms? Not so good? That's right, I have to keep working!! So, although I am whiney -- I am not complaining. I am grateful that I found Bulldog and that I have this opportunity to get stronger and better.

One last thing -- over the past few weeks I've only been going to Bulldog once per week. That is not enough. I'm shooting for 2 this week. I'll be back on Thursday. As motivation, check out the image below that I found on a Crossfit site. (Bulldog is a Crossfit gym.) Save the kittens!

No comments: