February 17, 2011 (This is re-post from a Facebook Note.)
Bulldog today was a strength building day (not that every day at Bulldog isn't a strength building day in some way). After warming up with a 400m row and some other flexibility exercises, we did the lifting complex for the day: 5 reps (35 lbs), 3 reps (35 lbs) and 1 rep (40 lbs) of UR (this is some sort of row, but I forget what the U stands for -- I think of this as the "weird row" because you have to pull the bar up high and it doesn't really seem like rowing); close grip snatch, back squat, behind-the-neck press, good morning, and then non-weird row. I should mention that these lifting complexes are for learning the proper form and movements and they can be excruciating because you have to move slowly and maintain focus on what your body is doing. My body does weird and unexpected stuff sometimes.
Then the strength part: as many sets as possible of 5 presses, 3 push presses (dip and drive!), and 1 push jerk with increasing weights on each movement and each set. I started at 35 lbs with the first round of presses and I got up to 45 lbs on the press, 50 on the push press, and 55 on the push jerk. This was hard, but interesting to feel the difference between powering the bar with weights overhead for the presses versus the momentum that a dip can give, versus the power of a jerk. I definitely felt weak and out of balance on the presses. Nothing to do but keep working and get stronger!
Then the last part of the day was 10 false grip ring rows, which I did and definitely felt stronger. Then "hollow rocks" which I could not do. Watch a guy who can do it here.
Think it looks easy? Try it!! I ended up doing an alternate version ("grunting, moaning, profusely sweaty flailing" is my version) where I kept my arms and shoulders up but lowered my legs to the point of agony and then held it for a count of 5ish 10 times (thanks, Gio).
So -- I did it! I made it to Bulldog 3 times this week. And I made it two days in a row. I won't lie -- it was tiring to go workout on two of my teaching days this week, but I got through it and it was definitely worth it. I'll be back at Bulldog on Monday morning (with some continuing work at home in the meantime).
Thanks Gio and Greg! And thanks to my very strong partner Mary today!

No comments:
Post a Comment