Sunday, February 28, 2010

Old WW post: Was it worth it? At last!

Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Last week I had a surprising victory at the scale and in my head. I was all over my tracker like white on rice last week. Knowing that I would be ...ahem...retaining water that week, I drank water, water, and more water. And I reacquainted myself with my old friend Ms. Elliptical. She gave me the cold shoulder at first, but after a few minutes with some Mary J. Blige, we were back to being good friends. Scale says "minus 4.8" Holey Moley! (Hey, how do you actually spell that anyway?) I love it when what I do during the week is reflected in the scale, though I*do* know that all success is not reflected there.

The next day (Thursday), I up and decided to visit my brother in Florida. We went grocery shopping and I picked up WW friendly items. I tried to stay mindful, but at the same time, I made the decision not to count points. I don't often get still-flipping-on-my-plate fresh seafood (okay, not really, it was dead) and I usually don't drink alcohol when I'm out because I'm usually the driver. I made these choices. I went for walks though they were slow ambles on the beach. I drank some coconut concoctions. I had peanut butter cheesecake with fudge sauce. (Okay, so after that last choice, I did get a bit sick. I don't think my body can handle that much fat anymore! Good choice, body!)

My WI is tomorrow night. I worked out today and then shoveled snow and have been eating fruits and fibrous foods and drinking water, water, water. Whenever we have a gain at the scale, our leader asks if it was worth it. I know this question is coming and usually I reflect guilty back on a binge or a loss of control with some ice cream or tacos or.... and my answer is no. The next question is, "Well, what did you learn?"

Tomorrow night I will finally say, It was worth it. I made a choice and I enjoyed it and I can take these next days, weeks, the month, to work it back off again. That's life. That's realistic. That's a skill that I am learning -- to make the choice to enjoy, then to really enjoy it, and then not to let it sink my ship after the moment has passed. I may gain tomorrow night or not, but either way, I definitely learned something this week.

Onward!
H

No comments: