Finally made it back to Bulldog this morning after a good night's sleep. Hurray! When I saw today's workout online before I left, I thought "oh, power cleans! no problem!" and then "oof, how much running?!" But at least all I have to do for that is slog on and breathe. It's no crab walk! :)
I did the regular warm-up plus some additional stretches that Gio gave me that really helped my morning stiffness. Then on to the workout:
10 x power cleans
600m run (400 for me)
8 x power cleans
600m run (400)
6 x power cleans
600m run (400)
4 x power cleans
600m run (400)
2 x power cleans
600m run (400)
I just about skipped over to the rack of weight bars and selected my 35 lb bar and picked my spot to stand. Gio explained that we were supposed to do 75 lbs or 25% of our body weight, whichever was more. "But that's not for me," I was thinking. Until Gio spotted my unbeweighted bar, that is. He had me go up to 55lbs. I thought (and said out loud), No Way!! But Gio is wise. He had me try a few deadlifts (no worries there!) and pulls (went okay) and then power cleans (hey, wait! I can do it!) to try out the weight.
As the workout went on, Gio gave me instructions on form. I've always struggled with the concept of open hips. What could that possibly mean? My hips are quite large and very solid structures. They do not seem to open and close. I've heard over and over that the key to good powerful lifts (and healthy posture in every day life) is open hips. But how to open them?
In the second round of powercleans, I finally got it. It's hard to explain in writing, but somehow in my jump to get the bar up, I started to feel an ease and, yes, power, that I hadn't felt before. I finally finally finally had it: open hips. Then I knew that I could actually have done more weight with this new found form. Hurray!
The running was a struggle, but I was determined not to walk. (Not that what I was doing was any sort of full-on run!)
So, I finished the workout in 25:56. Every step of the way, I was cheered on by my Poundmates and coach Gio. I have so much gratitude in my heart for these folks for inspiring and motivating me and yes, pushing me hard despite my whining and evil-eye glaring! Thanks, everyone!!!
And cheers to my hips! I found the poem "Homage to my Hips" online. It's from The Body Electric by Patrice Vecchione and written by Lucille Clifton.


2 comments:
You did Great today. You should be proud of you achievement and the new AH Ha! moment.
Proud of you.
Gio
Hooray, open hips! xo me
Post a Comment