Monday, April 11, 2011

As you might have seen earlier -- I made it to Bulldog this morning and set my personal record for a deadlift at 190 lbs (not 195 as earlier reported by a post-workout, very groggy me). It probably wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for my bad math skills. I used to be really good at algebra, but simple addition? no way.

When I first got to Bulldog, I was majorly yucky. I take neurontin for my migraines and took my dose late last night. So I was dizzy and groggy, and well, crampy for other reasons. I slogged through the warm-up and started with 85 lbs for the deadlift. Last week I deadlifted 110 pounds and it was not a nice sight to behold. Today I was excited to finally figure out what my max is. I was guessing about 120. The first try with 85 was not hard at all. So I added 20 lbs and kept increasing by 20, I thought. But at some point my math went awry. I thought I had lifted 155 and was mighty proud when coach Gio checked my math -- it was 185. HHHHHHWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTT? Crazy! So I added 5 and managed, with much effort, to stand up with it. Oh yes I did.

Incidentally, please note that the above pictured rodent is not deadlifting like I did today -- seems to be doing some sort of high pull but its form is all wrong -- but it is super cute anyway.

Then, as if that wasn't enough, there was still a workout to be had. I was feeling pretty tired out at that point, but so?

Today's workout (which I did see online before I went and then tried to immediately block it out until I got to Bulldog):

25 push press (overhead) me = 35 lb bar

30m crab walk
(I could not do all of this; I am a very heavy crab with, at that point, very tired arms -- not that everyone wasn't very tired at that point though. I think I did about half the distance.)

30m bear walk (me = about half)

25 push jerks (35 lb bar) I wish this really was just pushing jerks with a 35 lb bar, I'd be great! Thanks so much to coach Greg for standing with me and getting me through these (and helping me get and keep my form).

60m becks burpees (Note: these burpees do not involve drinking beer as Mary suggested; it's a burpee with a giant jump forward at the end. I'm guessing I did 15m if that, but I made it through)

60m lateral hops (hop sideways -- kind of fun, yet, at this point in the workout when I was so exhausted, this really felt ironic and ridiculous -- hopping should be a happy, energetic move, like when you say Yippee! Not sure how far I went, but maybe 15m again? or less.)

last, 25 Over Head Squats (with 35 lb bar) This was the most agonizing. My arms were burning and shaking so hard with holding up the bar. I did 5 at a time with coach Gio getting me through each lift. After these OHSs, I can never roll my eyes at guys who make grunty sounds when they lift. I made really weird sounds involuntarily. They just came out -- high pitched, gasping, grunty, dig-deep-and-finish-this sounds.

And I did finish it. In 27:32. And I was dead, but happy and proud.

In fact, I've been pretty tired all day despite some high protein meals. I still can't believe what I did this morning -- but I can definitely feel it! I'm proud of the progress that I'm making and I'm looking forward to the time when I can crabwalk more easily and get all the way through the 30m!

With the muscle fatigue I'm feeling, I might take tomorrow as a recovery day and go Wednesday a.m. instead -- but I'll see how I feel in the morning.

For those of you who didn't do the WOD (workout of the day), do a few steps as a crab and see how it feels!

1 comment:

jniimi said...

Keep working on that Krabbu Walk!! xo me