Sunday, July 31, 2011


Goodbye fast-food carbs (even though you are adorable). Starting tomorrow I am embarking on the Whole30 adventure. Without going into too much detail about what my body told my physical therapist and recent findings from Google research trips, I've decided to try 30 days of meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, some fruit, and some nuts/seeds. No grains, no sugar, no dairy, no alcohol, no funky preservatives, additives, etc. I'm thinking of this as a sort of investigation into the effects of food on my migraines and my overall well being.

I've never thought that I had food allergies, yet I've read so much lately on the inflammation effect of certain foods that I am wondering if some of my migraines might be my response to some foods and additives. Gio at Bulldog also mentioned something about the possibility of my migraines as a response to gluten. Recently I read an article in More magazine about Lyn-Genet Recitas's theory that we need to consider inflammation-response to foods at the level of the individual in order to lose weight and be at our best. I think this is really interesting, yet a little overwhelming to try to undertake a detox and investigation of all foods. The Whole30 program at Whole9 seems much more doable for me at the moment.

In general, I don't participate in trendy "diets" -- and I do think that anti-inflammation diets have been growing in popularity over the years -- but I think it makes sense to give this a try before I do something like getting botulism injected into my forehead, neck, and shoulders. With all of the processing and preserving that our food goes through before it lands on our plate, I do understand how some foods could be causing health issues. That is as far as I'll go (in this entry) in justifying the "paleo" diet as a way of reducing these issues. I'm starting to read Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution, but I haven't read enough to say anything more on this topic.

I'll write more about my adventure and my findings, challenges (cheese! oh cheese!), and successes as the 30 days pass! Although I have the support of my hubby, he will not be participating directly in the adventure. I've asked him not to flaunt his food in front of me. If any of you would like to join me, let me know! I would love the company and support!

1 comment:

jniimi said...

Go for it, hon!