Hello friends! I made it back for my 2011 wrap up and 2012 goal-setting session. Yeah, I'm a little late, but I've been so busy lately! I didn't even have time for Facebook. Wah.
So, if you'll remember back, back, back to January 2011, I made a few resolutions. How did I do? Well, here's the honest update.
1. One pull up.
Success? No. I haven't given up, but I realize to be able to do this, I will need train specifically for this feat. At the moment, that's not exactly possible. More on that below. It's okay though, I don't feel sad about it.
2. Five real push ups -- no knees, no sagging beached-whalular midsection.
Success? No. But I can kind of do 1, so that's something. I definitely need to work on my core. What's new?
3. Run 1 mile.
Success? No. But let's not get so negative here. I am actually training for this now. So this is a definite and reachable goal for mid 2012! Yay! Positivity!
4. Lose 20 lbs.
Success? OH HELL YES! In fact, in 2011 I lost 36 pounds and I think, judging from my almost too big belt and the sag in my jeans, that I have gone from a badonkadonk donk to a badonkadonk -- possibly soon I'll just have a badonka!
5. Develop a daily meditation practice.
Success? Getting there. I meditate much more frequently that I did at the start of 2011 and I am still working on making this a habit.
Conclusions about 2011: A lot happened that I didn't expect: some not so good, yet good in the end: surgery; some all good: finding the Whole30 and finally finding out how I can prevent my migraines, sleep through the night, have energy, and be healthy. This was a life-changer and will lead to a better life for me. That's more important than doing a pull up. Score!
What's on deck for 2012?
1. I am doing the Fight For Air Stair Climb at Oakbrook Tower on February 12th. Cover your ears: AND I'M GOING UP TWICE!!! You can support me and the American Lung Association by clicking on Support Tami here.
2. I am walk-running the Race That's Good For Life 5k on April 1. I love this race and I super-love getting a flower at the end. I think someone should hand me a flower at the end of every day whether I'm sweaty and panting or not. This puts me closer to my goal of running a mile, and I'm looking forward to more races in 2012. Ten years ago I walked-ran the Portland, Oregon marathon. I would love to repeat that experience with that or another marathon.
3. Continue on my Whole9 journey.
4. Step up my efforts to gain strength and stamina.
It wrings my heart to say this, but at the moment I am taking a break from Bulldog due to some personal financial issues (not that Bulldog is expensive or not worth the money, but when the student-loan rep offered to pray for me, something had to go). Without the physical training at Bulldog, but with the warm support of my Bulldog family, I will be training at home on a treadmill, on our stairs, with a jump rope, with kettlebells, with my own weight (hello planks and push ups), with videos, and Professor Plum with the candlestick in the library. (Get it?)
5. Keep on developing my mindfulness practice every day through meditating, stress control, and by increasing my involvement with the Zen Life and Meditation Center in Oak Park.
Who knows what will happen this year? Not me. But it's always good to have some goals, especially the kind that help you handle those unexpected times. As always, I am so so so grateful for your support and guidance. I can't believe how much my life has changed in the past 6 months! I was able to go forward and get through so much with your help. Keep the comments coming!

No comments:
Post a Comment